Last week I was working on some backgrounds using the Reinker Splash technique from the February '08 Technique Junkie newsletter. I had some new stamps to try out and I wanted to make a predominately PINK background. Having completed the background, I went to work making my card using the Think Pink set from My Favorite Things (I love that set!). It wasn't until the card was completed and I was posting it that it hit me....was the background a little 'bloody' looking? EEEK! CRUD! How did that happen?!
I posted the card to the TJ Yahoo group with a little note about 'something creepy' on the card. I didn't tell them what I was thinking and asked them to reply to me if they noticed something strange about the card. Little did I know that this would be an experiment in psychology! Kind of like one of those ink blotch tests. HA! The replies gave me a whole bunch of giggles so I thought I'd share the card, the silly responses, and the RE-DO cards that I ended up making.
Here are some of the guesses that I received about what might be 'creepy' about this card:
- I THINK it might be all about the support ribbon
- I'm not really thinking it's creepy, but is the stamp in support of gay women?
- You mean like a bad period?
- Were you thinking maybe Christmas??
- Is it the bloody gory looking background? If that wasn't it, I'm sorry I added to your list. LOL
- Leigh, do you see a "face" in the bg, above the image in the red shirt?
- I assume you are talking about the nipple on the left side of the card….. LOL
- I like it, but the BG to me looks like a case of "wet" tonsilitis, or a mucoid lung. Leave it to a nurse....kind of a "giner" shape down at the bottom too. Am I getting too anatomical here? Hah...leave it to an RN to go all "physical" on ya!!!
- You mean that it resembles a bandage full of blood? That is an awful lot of red...
- Boobs and bellybuttons?
- Are you thinking the BG looks like spilt blood and the sentiment suggests the girls are comrades in crime?
- In the background I see a face of the girl in the red dress.
- yikes are they both having that time of the month, is that what they are in together????
- I havent seen that stamp before and I wondered where were the
........then after I read what you wrote, I began to think ........oh headless bodies and the background looks like blood
- I see a ghost in the left side and looks like a face of some sort above the right stamped image
- I looked again and combine the cut-off heads with the red background and it looks like a horror movie! But it is a nicely designed card!
- first thing to come to mind is that the red BG is a lot like splattered blood.. so did the husbands kill their wives or did the wives kill their husbands and are hiding their identity?
- Does it have to do with the Scallops and the hole punched in each scallop looking like boobs?
Anyway, I couldn't stop thinking about the card and just had to go back and re-make it. It ended up becoming two cards that I think are much better. Stamping the large flower from Impress over the background evens it out and mutes it a bit and the MFT image is now more visible in it's new home too.